A couple weeks ago I heard an interview on NPR's Fresh Air about a forthcoming book outlining the evangelical adoption movement. You can find the interview here, and here is an article by the author in Mother Jones. The suggestion is that the well-meaning emphasis on adoption has a dark underbelly that results in everything from good old-fashioned proselytizin' to corruption to child trafficking.
I've got this book reserved at my library, and hope to post a review here when I have a chance to read it. I'm sure there's much to learn, and I have no doubt that there are corrupt elements in international adoption, since human beings are involved.
In the meantime, I'll point you to two responses to the interview/article that suggest that the article is not being fair:
Ed Stetzer interviews some leaders in the orphan care movement asking for their response, and Jonathan Merritt calls the article shameful.
I've got this book reserved at my library, and hope to post a review here when I have a chance to read it. I'm sure there's much to learn, and I have no doubt that there are corrupt elements in international adoption, since human beings are involved.
In the meantime, I'll point you to two responses to the interview/article that suggest that the article is not being fair:
Ed Stetzer interviews some leaders in the orphan care movement asking for their response, and Jonathan Merritt calls the article shameful.